Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Applying Mary moves....

   These last few days I have been thinking about Mary, the mother of Jesus. She was a young girl chosen by God to be the biological mother of Jesus. Why her? What qualities set her apart from the other Jewish women of her generation?
After a bit of studying I came up with the following list of Mary traits.
  1. She wasn't afraid to ask questions. When the angel came to her and told her that she was chosen to be the birth mother of the Messiah, the Bible says she wondered at the greeting and message of the angel. And then she asked this question in Luke chapter one "34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”  Wow. She questioned God's purpose for her life. Knowing the Mother of the Savior questioned her calling lets me know questions are normal. It's okay to occastionally question your calling, your divine purpose, or your dream. Questions are good, they allow you evaluate your life and find out if you are still on the correct path.
  2. She was willing to be used. Wow. This one is huge! Mary was willing to be used by God. Luke chapter one  "38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her."  I find it interesting that this verse comes after Mary has questioned God using her. She questioned and then accepted His purpose. We don't need to get so caught up in the questioning of God's will that we forget to be available for Him to use us. Mary was willing to play a much larger role in the Grand Story; a role she never dreamt she would see or play. Note: God's dreams for us are MUCH LARGER than any we could possibly dream up.
  3. She stepped outside her comfort zone.  Once she accepted God's will in her life she took a huge step away from her comfort zone. There was NO way Mary would be blending in with "normal" society from that moment forward. She was noticeably different; fitting in was no longer an option. She had to withstand the societal criticism, the danger of being an unwed mother, and the rumors. She had been set apart for a greater purpose.  Note: When you step outside of a comfort zone, there will always be criticism. Get used to it if you want to be used.
  4. She was a worshiper.  Check out Luke 1:46-55. The lady KNEW how to worship in her circumstances.  "And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,  for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant." 
  5. She trusted God. Luke 1:45 45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”  Incredible words spoken by Elizabeth!! Mary believe that what God had promised to her, that He would perform. She was outside of her comfort zone actively trusting God with each step. Inspiring!
  6. She was a miracle enabler. Check out John 2:1-12.  She had full confidence in the abilities of God. She saw an opportunity for a miracle and showed it to Him.She then stepped back and faithfully waited for Him to act. John 2: 3-5 "When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.” 4 “Woman,[a] why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you."   When you see an divine opportunity do not sit back. Act. I wonder what would have happened if Mary hadn't stepped up and enabled the miracle? Probably nothing.  Jesus reacts to faith; He can't help himself.
  7. She was an environment creator. This lady knew how to create an environment where she could reach God. Need proof? In Acts it talks about how when Peter was arrested she opened her home to the believers and they gathered to pray. When they began to pray things began to happen. Peter was taken out of jail by angels without being noticed by the jailers. 12 When this had dawned on him, he went to the house of Mary the mother of John, also called Mark, where many people had gathered and were praying. 13 Peter knocked at the outer entrance, and a servant named Rhoda came to answer the door. 14 When she recognized Peter’s voice, she was so overjoyed she ran back without opening it and exclaimed, “Peter is at the door!”
A few posts ago I talked about how I needed to "pull a Mary move" and hold dreams & thoughts in my heart, but after reading and studying about her life I have realized I need to begin "applying Mary" to my life. Imagine what could/would happen if I began to apply this list of traits to my life??  ....wow....
Okay, enough with the imagination, it's time to start actually applying.
Folks, I'm breaking out the Mary moves.

    1 comment:

    Jeremy Statton said...

    Great thoughts on Mary. I agree with you how she was willing to be used. That one hits me hard because I struggle with being used. I ask God to do big things at church or even in my marriage and with my kids, but so often I am unwilling to be the agent of those big things. Thanks Rachel.