Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

   Good Friday to all of you,...
I have a confession to make. This is the first Good Friday I have ever "observed." By observed, I mean I have sat down and taken the time to think about what went on the day of the Crucification. I have been thinking about what Jesus must have went through, about what those around Him were thinking, and about how His suffering has affected my life.

As I read over the last few chapters of Luke
 I am amazed at the events that took place in the week of Passover.
AMAZED.
Another thing that just floors me is the words spoken by the crowd in Luke 23.

34 Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”
And they divided His garments and cast lots. 35 And the people stood looking on. But even the rulers with them sneered, saying, “He saved others; let Him save Himself if He is the Christ, the chosen of God.” 36 The soldiers also mocked Him, coming and offering Him sour wine, 37 and saying, “If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself.” 38 And an inscription also was written over Him in letters of Greek, Latin, and Hebrew: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS. 39 Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, “If You are the Christ,[j] save Yourself and us.” 40 But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.”

 "Save Yourself."
"Save Yourself."
"Save Yourself and us."

If they only knew,... He could have saved Himself. He didn't have to come down to earth and become human. He didn't have to wade in sin daily. He didn't have to tempted.
He didn't have to go through the pain, shame & betrayal.
But He Did.
For you and for me.

If only the crowds knew when they shouted out, "Save youself!!"
He was dying for them.
If only the Soldiers knew as they jeered & called out for Him to, "Save Yourself and us!!"
that both could not be saved.
But One had to die.

I am grateful, humbled, awed, unworthy of the choice He made that day.
I  did not deserve to be saved.
I didn't deserve the blood that was shed on Calvary.
But for some strange, beyond-human understanding reason,
He saw us as worthy.

The words of Isaac Watts come to mind,...

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.
See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet?
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

No comments: