Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Take joy in Jonah Days

Ever have a week of Mondays? You know, those weeks where it's Tuesday & it feels like it already should be a Friday? Awful week? Long exhausting days when crawling under a desk & crying sounds like the best option?

That's me.

Monday was a "jonah day."  I was exhausted. Stressed out to the point of making myself sick. Worried about the how's, when's & where's. I could not calm myself down. I tried praying. I tried talking about it.  I tried thinking about it. I tried not thinking about it. Nothing was working. As I drove home at the end of the work day,  I turned down the radio and began to pray. It wasn't a long prayer. It wasn't an authoritive prayer. It was simply a plea to my Heavenly Father.
 "Jesus, I need peace. I need inspiration. I need calm. I need wisdom. I know that it will work out  as You plan but I need help in the meantime."
Done-Simple prayer.  And guess what? I didn't feel instant peace. I didn't become instantly wise concerning the future. But I did feel reassurance that it was all going to work out. And it is...
This morning I woke up, still stressed and still sickly, but as I went through my daily devotional time I read this scripture.
18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your unfailing love, LORD, supported me. 19 When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy. -Psalms 94:18-19
I can take joy in knowing that HE (my Savior, my Deliverer, my Shelter, my Rock, my Fortress) is watching out for me. When I feel overwhelmed by current events, emotional distress, mental anguish...etc. I can take joy in knowing HE is still there, even during my jonah days.

5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock. -Psalms 27:5


No comments: